Commonly Reported Vizio TV Problems

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

vizio_logo_ratings_box_logoTechnology has no doubt come a long way over the years and continues to advance rapidly. Of course, it is far from perfect and there are a number of things that can go wrong with any given household appliance or gadget. There are some very impressive televisions on the market these days. Vizio, for example, offers an array of LCD, LED, and plasma models in all sizes. Any of these common Vizio TV problems may arise at any time throughout the life of the set.

Perhaps the most common complaint regarding Vizio TVs is the appearance of a blank black screen even when the set is switched on and the indicator light is glowing. The screen may still light up in some instances, but in either case the screen remains blank. This issue is usually corrected by replacing the power board, but there are several other things that could be the culprit, like the backlight converter, the T-con board, or even just a faulty screen itself. If a repair shop does not have all of the LCD TV parts that could possibly be causing the problem readily available, they may need to order them all in order to single out the guilty part, which can get rather pricey.

Faulty remotes are another common issue. This is one of the much easier and inexpensive Vizio TV problems to fix. Usually this is due to a bad IR sensor or a loose wire and the parts can generally be found online for less than 20 bucks. If the cause is unknown, just replacing the remote altogether is also fairly easy and of course less expensive than dealing with a problem with the TV itself.

Commonly reported Vizio TV problems also include sound-related issues. This may be a matter of faulty speakers or disconnected wires, which are both easily remedied. If it is an issue with the main unit, then it will be a little more difficult and expensive to fix.

There are many shops offering LCD TV repair services. Purchasing an extended warranty is usually advised to cover the cost of potential expensive repairs and replacements but you will need to rely on your judgment on whether the price of the extended warranty will truly be worth it (most of them are quite pricey).

Sources:

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

435 Responses to “Commonly Reported Vizio TV Problems”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Doug Wilcoxson says:

Why does my tv keep going to deep sleep every time I start to do something?

2. Dot Carrigan says:

Anyone have an issue with the screen darkening up and then the light goes back up

• Shanel Roberts says:

You have to adjust it, Just go in to menu, then go into picture, then go to auto brightness control then it should give you an on/off press off, and then you should be good to go. I know this is an old post so I hope this can still help you hun.

3. Dennis says:

Our 55″ Vizio seemed ok until the last month or so. Problem was first noticed when Netflix wouldn’t load. Found it work on all portable devices connected to the same WiFi so internet was NOT the problem. Then found that (at random) the TV would say that it was NOT connected to our WiFi…???
    TV is less than 2 years old.

4. Joan Scott says:

My picture is not centered on the screen….it shows running off the screen to the left. This is the first posting I have sent. If the answer has been given please end it again!

5. Joan Scott says:

6. Joshua Coleman says:

Brought an 60″ vizio almost 2 years ago from Walmart and it’s a piece of crap. I was watching TV and it went blank. Will stick with Samsung for now on.

7. Brian says:

I have the 47 inch Vizio LED HD smart tv. It’s about 4 yrs old and the picture went out completely, about 5 minutes ago. Audio is still there but no picture. Does anybody know what the problem would be, and can I fix it?

8. Holley says:

My Vizio is a 6 year old 36inch. The color is red and I can’t adjust it. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m not sure if I should have it fixed.

9. Brenda says:

Our screen goes black,sound works,but no picture, We have to reboot several times a day,we have had several vizeo smart tv’s,we got a message in a box on the screen that said your HDMI has been compromised,what does that mean,and how did it get compromised?we did not set up the internet to it due to all the problems that have been reported,with no resolution from video Corp.

10. Juanita Austin says:

I have a vizio E550i-B2 smart tv and have had right at 18 months and all of a sudden when turn on power light in left hand corner comes on but the v does not show and then the light slowly goes really faint. I have sound no picture …any suggestions right out of warranty and still paying on it.

11. Karen Chowdhury says:

I have a Vizio 3d tv that when turned on fades to black and gradually (after quite some time) little by little shows the picture. The audio is unaffected but no other buttons work until the picture shows up. It is beyond frustrating. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?
    I appreciate your reply.

12. Theresa says:

I have a Vizio 55 inch flat screen.
    When watching HD channels everything is to big to fit in the screen. Can’t read the writing on the bottom, people heads are cut off.
    When watching regular channels there’s black at top and bottom of screen and everything fits fine. Why have HD TV if u can’t watch HD channels.
    How can I fix this?
    PS. Have done factory reset several times, and even though TV says normal at top of TV in setting it’s on wide. Won’t change.

13. Theresa Taylor says:

I have a Vizio 55 inch flat screen.
    When watching regular channels there’s a black at top and bottom of screen and everything fits fine. Why have HD TV if u can’t watch HD channels.
    How can I fix this?

14. Dennis says:

My picture is to close. Can’t see the score on a ball game.

15. RB Kramer says:

Our 47 inch flat screen Vizio cannot hold a Netflix show for more than 30 minutes. It then states it has lost the connection. The connection cannot be made until the TV sits for a time and then you may be able to sign back on to Netflix and watch another 20 or 30 minutes of the show you started. Anyone else had this problem?

16. Eugene Coughlin says:

I have a 28″ and a 32″, both Vizios. After set up neither displayed a full screen picture. There were two black borders along each side of the picture. I called the cable company
    “WOW!” and they instructed me to set the screen format to zoom. This worked with the
    28″ but not with the 32″. The cable company suggested that I might have to make some adjustment using the Vizio remote. Any suggestions?

17. Bev Paulson says:

Small screen in upper left corner gives the picture, but i cannot get it to go to full screen. Please help!

18. Janet Good says:

I have a single line going across the screen of my 48″ Vizio. Is this a sign of something terrible going on or nothing to worry about because it is easily fixable?
    Thank you for your help.
    Janet

19. Pissed off Vizio Owner says:

My Vizio 55″ won’t is in stuck wide mode and can’t be changed via the menu after a Vizio update.

20. nick says:

my 55″ vizio model no.E500i=B1 does not power on. i’ve had it not even a year. at first i had to let it sit unplugged for acouple minutes then acouple hours , a whole day and now it just wont power on. power light turns on then fades out and nothing. does anyone have some advice or the solution .

21. Nakai jackson says:

My 32in plays but screens in dark mode does anyone know what the problem could be

22. Steve says:

I’ve had my Visio for a little less than two years. It’s been dependable throughout that time, however lately it will go black for a second or two. This occurs quite often. Why?

23. Pat says:

I made the worst mistake in buying these TV’s I thought I did my homework and me like a moron bought 2 (32″&42″) so now I’m kind of stuck unless I find someone who’ll buy these off my hands, I have never been so tired of getting up and unplugging,counting to 10,plugging in again, wait for the 1st light to turn off &then turn on,due to a message that constantly comes on and doesn’t go off if I don’t do the “ritual” I am so fed up with seeing “Retrieving Data” pop up when it wants to, The Other TV, the remote no longer works, so I have to go behind the TV to change channels (can no longer go into other inputs I need the remote for that)so I call the company, they refer me to a place where they can fix it but get this I must pay $300 for them to repair!! The TV I paid about $600 I’m putting it up for sale as we speak,SONY or SAMSUNG here I come!!!

• Yvonne says:

Wow, sounds like we are living the same life. We have to do the exact same get up and unplug and count to ten scenario almost daily. Our tv is only a year old and it now has a darker stripe across the top of the screen. Next time I will gladly spend and extra $200 for a better brand.

• Jeff says:

What Vizio series did you buy and how old are they? I bought a 43in M series last November and another M series 65″ this month and I haven’t had either of those issues but I’ve been researching for any problems common problems before my return period is up for the $1500 65″.

• Kyle Trygg says:

I had the same issue and I got rid of the tv and bought a Samsung smart tv

• Bob says:

Hey you aren’t alone we have the same problem! You described it to a T!

24. Lucas Blankenship says:

Tv will not go to normal on picture size stays on wide

• Ed says:

My 37 in will not allow me to change screen display, by remote or directly using control buttons on thr tv. Picture remains only covering center of screen

25. ronnie hutto says:

this has been reported before and it’s not under warranty.my 55 goes off when it wants to,for no reason.talked to techs and they say its properly inside the tv,no shit anyhow ,thought since they can’t nor fix it, next time i am in wal mart,target,costco and all the outlets i will make i know how this tv is worthless and has been since i had it.tried to buy american but it turns out another bad buy.this tv has done this since i had it maybe a lemon,but i douth it just another bad product.hope this shoes up on complains,been there before

• Ricky says:

I feel your pain, I’m having the same problem with my 5 year old 65 inch Vizio.
      We’re able to fix your problem, please share

• Kevin S says:

Same here I bought my 65″ 4K at Walmart and the 2nd day I had it the issues began. The tv would turn off and some times come right back on it the screen would go blank and freeze up where I’d have to unplug it to reset it. I called Walmart the 3rd day about returning it but of course garbage came the next morning and I put the huge box our for the trash. Dumbass me talking to Walmart and them telling me I need the box to return it. So I’m going to try and talk to VIZIO about it I’ve only had 2 weeks. I was hesitant to buy it but I did anyway. I’ve bought 2 Sony tvs in the past 8 years and not one problem with them. I should of just went and got a Sony but I got sticker shock and went with this turd.

• V Scott says:

Same exact problem. It’s a piece of junk. I’ve only had my TV for 2 1/2 years, so I guess I’m lucky compared to some of the other posts I’ve read. I will NEVER buy Vizio again!

26. Kay Galey says:

my Vizio writing is backwards sometime I can usually get it fixed but it takes a lot of turning on off combos do not know exactly what fixes it help

27. Tim guerrant says:

I have 55″ flat screen 2 years old the screen freezes and beeps for a split second every once in awhile

28. Tracy says:

I have a red line going downs the side of my t.v. and I get a deafining sound sometimes when you turn on the t,v, can you tell me what is wrong.

29. Joe says:

I have a 55″ Visio led smart,15 mth old.Has dark shadows along the buttom of about 5″ and the top,a little less.Hard to see a puck when watching Hockey.called Visio,said it was out of warranty.No more Visio for me and I have four of them,two have the dark shadows,a 42″ and this 55″.I like to get the 55″ repaired if not too costly.
    Any ideas ?

30. ian says:

Our Vizio was working fine until the latest update. Now getting the apps to load and play properly has practically made the ‘smart’ features of the TV useless.

Leave A Comment...