Commonly Reported Vizio TV Problems

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

vizio_logo_ratings_box_logoTechnology has no doubt come a long way over the years and continues to advance rapidly. Of course, it is far from perfect and there are a number of things that can go wrong with any given household appliance or gadget. There are some very impressive televisions on the market these days. Vizio, for example, offers an array of LCD, LED, and plasma models in all sizes. Any of these common Vizio TV problems may arise at any time throughout the life of the set.

Perhaps the most common complaint regarding Vizio TVs is the appearance of a blank black screen even when the set is switched on and the indicator light is glowing. The screen may still light up in some instances, but in either case the screen remains blank. This issue is usually corrected by replacing the power board, but there are several other things that could be the culprit, like the backlight converter, the T-con board, or even just a faulty screen itself. If a repair shop does not have all of the LCD TV parts that could possibly be causing the problem readily available, they may need to order them all in order to single out the guilty part, which can get rather pricey.

Faulty remotes are another common issue. This is one of the much easier and inexpensive Vizio TV problems to fix. Usually this is due to a bad IR sensor or a loose wire and the parts can generally be found online for less than 20 bucks. If the cause is unknown, just replacing the remote altogether is also fairly easy and of course less expensive than dealing with a problem with the TV itself.

Commonly reported Vizio TV problems also include sound-related issues. This may be a matter of faulty speakers or disconnected wires, which are both easily remedied. If it is an issue with the main unit, then it will be a little more difficult and expensive to fix.

There are many shops offering LCD TV repair services. Purchasing an extended warranty is usually advised to cover the cost of potential expensive repairs and replacements but you will need to rely on your judgment on whether the price of the extended warranty will truly be worth it (most of them are quite pricey).

Sources:

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

435 Responses to “Commonly Reported Vizio TV Problems”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Wendelyn (Wendi) Kistler says:

How do I contact Warranty registration? I don’t think I have had this tv for a year yet, but I don’t know how to find out if my tv is covered. Of course I can’t find my receipt, but know I registered it…any help?

2. jay noneya says:

Cant get hdmi ports to recognize components,
    Moved tv a couple of times and the coaxial cable pulled the threaded part out of the TV very easily….

3. Justin S. says:

I have a D500i-B1 43 inch. When turned on it flashes the visio logo quick then nothing. It takes about 5 to 8 times before it shows the logo normally and screen pops on. When it does turn on its always on the wrong input.

4. Steve Richards says:

I have a 32 inch, that when you push the power button it flashes the symbol then powers off. Any ideas?

5. Terry L Taylor says:

My vizio goes dark if there isn’t enough light being displayed on the show that I am viewing. This will occur after a couple minutes of a scene yhat is dark. Any quick fixes?

6. Josie Green says:

I cannot get my Vizio to display the complete title of anything on the tv. I watch a lot of the shopping channels. The tv will not show the ordering numbers. I have tried everything to try to fix the problems. If I think I have fixed it for one channel, I turn it to the next channel and it is messed up. The manual that was given with the tv does not show you step by step of how to program your tv to get the best picture. Your manual is of no use. You need to supply customers with a step by step of how to get the best picture. I called the supplier of the Vizio tv and they wanted to charge me $40.00 dollars to fix my problems. I think the company should be glad that you bought the tv and should be willing to help you fix the problems. I have been having problems every since I bought the tv. If I could afford a new tv I would have bought one a lone time ago. I have had my tv over a year. HELP.

7. B. Thrasher says:

I have a VISIO D39h-C0 39″ tv that has a problem of the right 1/3 rd of the screen getting darker and darker. What causes this?

8. Bertha wooten says:

I have a Vizio tv model number m420nv there is no sound. Picture is perfect

9. Chuck says:

My 55 inch is several years old and started freezing up, pixiling and randomly turns off. Is this common and is there a fix for it!

10. Jake says:

Wanting to know if this problem is fixable. This is a Vizio E701i-A3. Any help would be appreciated. https://imgur.com/gallery/GPTp3

• Salsabeel Sabri says:

Hey… so did u find a way to solve this problem? Bcz my tv suddenly stopped working and it started glitching.. hope u can help

• Genaugmen says:

I have the 42 inch version and have had continuous issues with LEDs failing. Once so many fail, the power supply will cut power to the LEDs resulting in at most a quick flash of thebacklight, and then black screen. I’m about to go into mines for the third time.

11. Vincent Ofor says:

I owed a vizio tv with hard metal around the screen for many years and it fell many times and nothing happened to the screen. Recently I bought D-series with 32 inches, and just little drops, the screen shatters, and I have exchange it twice because I have a three years insurance. I will return it and never to buy it again because it is too fragile.

12. corina shaler says:

our fairly new 30 inch vizio tv turns on all by itself. it is not hooked up to any cable since it is a smart tv. so we have netflicks on it. this takes several steps to get a program to start playing. you have to select it from a list. yet my tv turns on with a program already playing!! the power button on the tv will not turn it off. nor will the remote. even after removing the batteries and replacing them. the only option after it turns itself on is to unplug it. this is not the first time this has happened. we have another vizio big screen tv in our living room…55 inch. its turned on by itself as well. it is not a smart tv like the 30″ is. so the remotes can turn it back off.
    the program that was playing this last time was “twilight zone” …and no…the irony is not lost on me…lol
    not sure if it is a electrical issue or a supernatural one at this point…lol

• chris says:

I have the same issue with my Vizio turning on all by itself,, I came home today and my tv have been on for over 9 hrs, as I turned it off as I left the house,, I vote supernatural

• Steve Egan says:

You *may* have another infrared (IR( source causing the tv to turn on and this can be verified by optically blocking the IR sensor located (mot likely) on the bottom of the screen.
      Turn the TV off, put something on the right lower half of the screen, try to turn it on with the remote. If this turns it on, move the blocking item to the left half of the lower screen. Does the remote still work? Try the upper edges of the tv – but most of the tv’s on the market use the lower part of the tv to mount the IR sensor. If the tv still is controllable, try blocking ALL of the lower half – some tv’s use sensors on both sides of the screen.

Once you have done that, and verified that the tv cannot be controlled by the remote, leave the blocking item there until the next time you want to use the tv. IF, at any time, the tv turn on by itself, it’s not the remote, your tv is possessed… most likely by a weak/bad power supply, or extreme noise coming in to your AC power line.

Give it a shot. Good luck!

P.S. – paper/cloth is lousy for blocking, IR can usually go through it easily. Try a book or something solid.

• Gary Gibney says:

I have the same problem with my tv, have you figured it out?

13. Dusty says:

Vizio m60 has a static look to everything hdr related netflix casting and ps4 pro

14. DICK BURKHALTER says:

55 INCH VISIO WHICH I PURCHASED FROM COSCO WHICH HAD A TWO YEAR WARRANTY . TV WENT OUT ABOUT 13 MONTHS AFTER PURCHASE . THE MOTHER BOARD WAS REPLACED,I BELIEVE . NOW THREE YEARS SENSE PURCHASE THE PICTURE COME ON FOR A FEW MINUTES THAN GOES BLANK ,THAN ALTERNATES ON AND OFF EVERY 30 SECONDS . THE VOICE STAYS ON ALL THE TIME . ANYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM? AND WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM AND COST TO FIX THE PROBLEM?
    DICK

• Jaime lynn says:

Did u find out what caused it mine doing Same thing we just moved it from one place to another now plays then blank screen sound stays on

• Ned topic says:

Mine does the same thing. When lightning is around house, picture goes out. They tried fixing it several times and then they say it’s my house environment. I’ll never buy a Vizio again

15. Jenny says:

I bought a Vizio , when I plugged it in everything worked great until I turned it to a local station and football was on and it was in Spanish. I checked my language settings and English was selected so there was no way to change or stop it. I also experienced on the same channel that certain shows will have” caption max” where when watching the entire show I get a play by play of a mans voice of what’s happening before it happens , and once again there is no where in the settings to shut it off. Has anyone else experienced this? If so please tell me how to fix it. I’ve always owned Vizio Tv’s and have never had this problem before

16. ben had says:

I learned the hard way that setting my backlight to 100% will burn out the backlite leds or power supply in less than 3 months with 12 hrs a day use.

17. Tammy Kelly says:

Is there anyone know if you can lighten the color without the remote?

18. Marilyn Montoya says:

I have not found any information on my audio problem with my Vizio 42 inch flatscreen A day or so ago we noticed that almost everyone has developed a lisp when pronouncing the “S” sound. Like listening to Sylvester the cat. Nuts, I know! The female voices are more noticeable. The TV is less that a year old.

It sounds like the reptile conspiracy is HERE! lol

19. frontncenter says:

This is a common issue. It’s caused by an over screwing problem behind your pants. You have to bend over to see it better.

20. alan lowman says:

my 65 inch vizio model 650i-b2 the input selector wont fiunction .with no remote and the rempote will only turn on the television thats all

21. Dixie says:

we are not able to get the channels to change on our VIZO tv. The remote changes the channels but the picture will not change

22. daniel says:

hi i have a 50 inch vizio smart tv that wont turn on so i grabbed my multimeter and its getting it power 5vlt stanby power and 12 vlt but when i push power bitton the standby light light comes on blue for few secs n then fades out n tv wont turn on please help i even give my cell im desperate lol i bought off a buddy for 50 bucks i jus need to k ow if its still the power board issue or main board u can txt me or email or respond to this post 402 874 0960 thank u n my model number is e500i-b1

23. Jay Clow says:

Vizio TV turns on, blue screen appears with message NO INPUT for about 2-3 seconds, then shuts off.

With TV off, pressing the TV Input button (A/V) gets the same result.

Unplugged the TV to reboot. Same result.

Any ideas out there?

24. Ken Griffin says:

How do I contact Vizio for warranty repair? I have lost my book.

25. chasdee says:

I have a 2008 Vizio 32″ flat screen HD tv. I recently moved it from a bedroom location to another room in the house. It has now developed a 2″ to 3″ vertical band in the display that looks like a negative colour image. Any ideas about causes and possible repair solutions?

26. Mike James says:

I have a 50″ Vizio E500i-B1….Its not quite two years old…It can take from 3 tries to 12 or more to get the tv to come on….Sometimes the tv turns off by itself…Once I get the tv on I leave it on…And today it has started doing the picture going off but still have audio….It turns into a 50″ flat screen radio…..I wont purchase another vizio….

27. Larry H says:

I have an M60 4k TV and after the warranty expired the TV started acting weird when I switched inputs (Apple TV to Cable or DVD and back to Cable) The screen started “pixelating” and acting as if the signal went bad. The only fix is to restart the TV. I thought it was my 3500 Bose system but hooked it up to a Samsung TV I have it worked great. So, the conclusion is that the TV is hosed and out of warranty.

What does it cost to replace a Motherboard of ribbon cable in one of these TVs? Worse case scenario, I buy a competitor product and use this as target practice.

28. J. D. MORRISON says:

Have a new D24-D1. When I turn on a box appears in middle of screen: NO RGB SIGNAL. TV WILL BE TURNED OFF. Then it turns off. Can I fix?

29. David spitler says:

My vizio to has sound but no pitcher

30. A. Darroch says:

I have a 6 yr old Vizio 42″ HD TV. After 4 years the sound failed. I had to buy a speaker and have someone attach it. There are black splotches all over the screen. I am vastly disappointed in this product and in Dell who manufactures it.

Leave A Comment...